[openbeos] Re: our own language

  • From: "Matt Verran" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:44:02 +0000

You missed the final bit...

....a compiler

then its worth having, essentially a RAD, language of choice, plus a
compiler is *all* we are asking for :P

Its got to make a Be-executable at the end, and there's no reason why
it can't be as good as a hand written C++ one.

>[snip]
>>I would suggest something more in the lines of PROMOTING the use of
Python

>Great. Easy to learn, OOP-Style, and the possibility to code close to
the actual OS API, if needed.

>>1)  We can bind the native C++ libraries right into the system.
Thats
>>right, you can access and use the C++ libs in the OOP style that they
where
>>designed to be used in.  That means that you get the performance of
those
>>base libraries as well.  The BeOS API is relatively simple and very
clean to
>>impliment for a understanding level.  This will give give hobbiest
and
>>non-C++ programmers a chance to easily learn the Be API without
having to
>>mess with the details or relative complications of C++.
>
>As far as I know there exists a bunch of Python modules called
"Bethon", that provide wrappers for most of the
>Be API, especially the GUI-Stuff.
>
>>2)  IDE's for python already exist and can easily be ported.
>
>An IDE should not be the problem. What could be a bit harder (ok more
than just a bit) would be a point and click
>RAD-Tool for Python.
>
>>3)  Python itself is VERY portable and can easily be ported to Be.
>
>I am runnig Python 2.1 here an I am quite sure there already is later
version.

>>4)  This project is in scope of the capability of the group (IMHO), a
visual
>>basic solution is not.
>
>Tell you what after R1, we will sit down together again and talk it
through. Having even more Python support on