[openbeos] Re: our own language

  • From: "Matt Verran" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:35:41 +0000

Just an insight into the mind of a non C++ dev... (ie:- this is not
meant to be flamebait! :) )

Ok, I've posted before and mentioned i'm no BeOS developer - but I
would be if a) I knew C++, and b) C++ on BeOS was easy to get to grips
with. All the sub classes, instances, macros, inheritance, destructors
and stuff confuses the hell out of me, and programming for the BeOS
relies on all that stuff.

Give me RAD C++ and maybe I could do some apps. Let me learn the
language (logic, program flow etc) first, then understand all the
behind the scenes arsing about!  Why don't we see about Kylix? Before
anyone starts - yes I know its Delphi and that means Pascal - but lets
attract outsiders in.

I've been trying to learn C/C++ for 3 years - albeit with little
motivation because I can't get any results - which makes me ( a non C++
 coder) find the Metrowerks IDE and GCC very backward - I know its not,
but its the impression given!

While a VB-alike is no use for OS-level stuff and media things, its
handy for knocking up applications very quickly, especially for the
rest of the world. We could even use Replicants as our 'ActiveX'
replacement. Since its Apps that we lack, then I think this is all
worth considering - even if they are frontends for POSIX stuff like
Postgresql.

So if a VB-alike RAD is not on the cards, I suggest a cracking tutorial
going from 'Hello World' to writing a simple GUI app using a shared lib
or two. Because OpenBeOS will be a wasted effort if we still don't have
any apps.

>VB is what is referred to as a R.A.D. tool (Rapid Application
Development).