[openbeos] Re: our own language

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 14:38:29 +0200

Matt Verran wrote:

> Ok, I've posted before and mentioned i'm no BeOS
> developer - but I would be if a) I knew C++, and b) C++
> on BeOS was easy to get to grips with. All the sub
> classes, instances, macros, inheritance, destructors and
> stuff confuses the hell out of me, and programming for
> the BeOS relies on all that stuff.

Same with me. I know dBASE and some Perl and PHP, but the
best stuff has always been the easy one, not only because
the majority of coders aren't on expert C++ level.

My logic is that any program execution follows a logic and
flow itself, and that alone should be enough to put all
logic and flow options into popup boxes. Sure, you gotta
create/write the structure, but the IDE should take care of
all obscure stuff.

> So if a VB-alike RAD is not on the cards, I suggest a
> cracking tutorial going from 'Hello World' to writing a
> simple GUI app using a shared lib or two. Because
> OpenBeOS will be a wasted effort if we still don't have
> any apps.

Amen to that and the other <snipped> parts!

Helmar