[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:17:36 -0500 (EST)

> Also, one click to an upgrade is good. I think that this is similar to
> windows, though I don't see Office support yet, like they have in debian.
> :)
>
> You cannot assume the user has an internet connection.   Plus, I wish to
> have the physicall installer backed up on a CD for disaster recovery.

I have an iso debian cd set. When internet goes down, I can get packages
off cdrom. This really is transparent once it's set up.

When I didn't have internet I only used cd sources. It was better to have
5 cds for 100's of sw packages than the 100's I would have to have in
windows world (1 package per cd, generally). Also, debian people not only
tested all packages extensively, but they also tested them w/ one another
so there were no conflicts like what my freends had w/ install shield.
I forgot to mention that uninstall was also nicer. On instal shield, one
would often have to find uninstaller program. Nice that they put it in the
programs menu (sometimes) so they clutter it up. Then they leave lots of
ghost files when they are not removing stuff other programs need. Debian
warns you when you will break other programs and even tells you which
ones. Windows has animations which would be nice save that they are
reminiscent of something that apple had all ready done.

Fred