[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

>I'm a little hesitant to take this on as part of OpenBeOS -- it
>represents a great 3rd party opportunity.  Having said that, it
occurred
>to me that a simple solution (in the way that Poor Man is BeOS's simple

>web server solution) would be a binary file containing a
>developer-provided shell script to direct the install and a zip archive

>with the files to be installed.  You could slap a pretty simple GUI on
>top of that and make it fairly Grandma-friendly. =)  That certainly
>wouldn't be what you'd call a full-featured installer, but it might do
>as an something in between a plain zip file and truly needing a
>professional installation tool because your installation is so complex.

Friend of mine and me scetched(sp?) on this stuff a while ago, but never
actually finish it.
It was intented to work something like CygWin's installer (connect to
some web site, get a list of packages, let the user mark them and
finally install them.)

The packages themselves should contain information about:
* Dependencies -- other packages it needs.
* Location -- where it'll install itself.
* Type -- application or add-on.
    - Application -- installs itself in its own directory, and can't put
stuff in other directories.
    - Add-on -- can place the files basically where it wants to.
* Files -- list of files in the release, checksum'd and all.

Among other things, I don't have the spec. handy. Preferredly(sp?) in
XML, along with a Package Builder That Does Not Suck(TM).

The user gets the list through a little application, and can from there
choose if he wants to install it or not. For those of you who have used
QNX's package-thingy, that's almost like I want it (just not the
buggyness).

For applications and packages, a list of installed packages needs to be
installed for easier updating and/or removal. Needn't be like the
Windows equivalence (*shiver*), but still -- a list would be nice.

--
Mikael J @ http://hem.spray.se/tic_khr