[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Manuel Jesus Petit de Gabriel" <freston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:45:47 -0800

> I'm sorry if I misunderstood something. It's just that I always seen BeOS
as
> a micro-kernel, like QNX. But I'm very shocked that I was so wrong. I'm
> sorry.

Yes and no. There is a continuum betwen micro-kernels and monolithic
kernels.
BeOS in its origin was closer to the micro-kernel end of the spectrum, and
progressively moved closer to the other side. It ended up being a
very modular (dynamically linked/loaded kernel services) monotlithic
kernel, very much like Solaris (which started at the othe extreme
of the spectrum: a huge statically linked executable that provided
all services in the early SunOS days).

manuel,

> Btw, I use Linux every day, and I really don't want to start a flame  :-)

Bah! BSD is far better!  :-)  [ j/k kidding no OS wars please! ]