[openbeos] Re: ideas for SoC

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:34:29 -0400

Well to give Palm as an example a haiku for a pda would mean
1) no floating point. this will especially affect appserver
2) a whole new "tracker"
3) a file system based on smaller amounts of flash ram probably won't be BeFS
4) all the real fun stuff such as media kit probably won't fit or be requested
5) and of course the kernel port to arm

Be (and then while in Palmsource) spent a lot of money just to focus
on these issues and came up with BeIA and Cobalt. They didn't really
get far. :(

PS3 ---or PS4 would be a closer match for a real haiku platform sure
but you'd be dependent on Sony. They did give us the evilla but ummm
hmmm well it was something!
:)

On 3/24/07, Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ari Haviv wrote:
> There are 2 aspects. The core inside of the OS and the outside. x86-64
> is a port but it is still a desktop. Everything we know about the
> desktop will still apply. However, if you are talking about pocket
> *anything* including x86 that means we have to throw out everything we
> know about the Haiku desktop and come up with something completely
> different. And this is true with a PS3 where you use a big tv sitting
> on a couch and even if you hook up the usual keyboard and mouse, the
> entire way of using the system will be different.

Not at all. WinCE looks exactly like a smaller version of Windows desktop.
Even PalmOS looks a lot like a desktop. Sure, you don't want a Tracker type
thing (i.e. a desktop metaphor), but that doesn't invalidate the focus on
the desktop (as compared to a server). What does desktop focus mean? Focus
on UI, performance (response, not throughput), low hardware requirements,
easy of setup and use. That's not all that far from what you want on your
TV or your hand held.