[openbeos] Re: ideas for SoC

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:52:46 +0100 CET

"Paulo Estrela" <paulojbe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My opinion about this subject is that if Haiku have a strong
> focus on desktop, desktop experience should be improved.
> Ports to another CPUs is great, but this is not the focus. I think
> we should improve "control panel" GUIs, try to make Haiku
> more stable and etc.

For Haiku to be made more stable and for the GUI to be more
responsive, the guts of the kernel and the guts of the app_server
need to be well known, well designed and well optimized.
That's key to a good desktop experience.

A port to another CPU can help make Haiku more stable,
by finding bugs in the machine-independent parts of the code.

The machine-dependent parts for PowerPC should in theory
have no influence on the x86-dependent parts. They are exclusive.
You either have one or the other built, together with the machine-
independent parts. The machine-independent parts are the same
regardless. They constitute the core of the kernel.

Adding a third architecture does not alter the stability of the x86-
or PowerPC-dependent parts, but it can help improve the machine-
independent parts, and shake out machine-dependencies in the
supposedly machine-independent parts.

/Jonas Sundström.