[openbeos] Re: ideas for SoC

On 3/21/07, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Adding a third architecture does not alter the stability of the x86
> > -
> > or PowerPC-dependent parts, but it can help improve the machine-
> > independent parts, and shake out machine-dependencies in the
> > supposedly machine-independent parts.
>
> Might i suggest x86-64 as a viable port? I was hoping it'd be easier
> then another completely difference architecture... 8-).

Probably. Except it *is* a completely different architecture anyway.
I have yet to see an x86-64 device that fits in the pocket though :)))

François.

There are 2 aspects. The core inside of the OS and the outside. x86-64
is a port but it is still a desktop. Everything we know about the
desktop will still apply. However, if you are talking about pocket
*anything* including x86 that means we have to throw out everything we
know about the Haiku desktop and come up with something completely
different. And this is true with a PS3 where you use a big tv sitting
on a couch and even if you hook up the usual keyboard and mouse, the
entire way of using the system will be different.

I wish we had real cpu choice. What we have now is the result of the
Windows monopoly and that needs to change first