[openbeos] Re: ideas for SoC

  • From: "Andrew McCall" <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:21:29 +0000

On 21/03/07, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Though I'd be quite interested in a geeky sort of way to see
> Haiku running on iPods, palmtops, headless MIPS platforms,
> etc, etc I don't think those ports should live in the Haiku tree,
> or be included in the GSoC. By all means fork the code and
> do it as a separate project.

Maintaining a fork of Haiku might turn out to be a lot of work.
I would probably borrow bits and pieces instead.

I think forking is a bad idea unless its needed.

> We are all agreed the focus is the desktop - for me that means
>  targets are x86 and possibly PPC. Anything else distracts from
>  Haiku's core focus and should be a separate project.

This is a bit of a drastic statement.  What about SPARC?  SPARC is in
a stronger position than PPC at the moment, unless you count the PS3
as a PPC desktop :)

I think that Haiku could run as it is on something like a Nokia 800,
it would just need Tracker and the Deskbar replacing with something
specifically designed for hand held devices with a touch screen input,
THAT might be best living in a seperate repository (unless Haiku want
to endorse a project).  The replacement, but the underlying OS could
sit with the rest of the source.

It would certainly distract me, but I don't see how it would distract
a whole lot from Haiku's core focus. I seem to be the only one
interested in this. ´:)

I am really interested in ports to other platforms.  I just don't have
the time to help out, if I did I would have been working on the PPC
port over the last few years.

For example, you can get great multi-processor SPARC boxes for next to
nothing on eBay, and I would love to use something like that to run
Haiku.  Also, the hand held devices that you can get nowadays are
similar in specification to what the original Be engineers were
working on *for* the desktop!

However, I agree that the focus for now should be getting an x86
desktop working, but I don't see a reason to fork.  The issues that
will arrise from adding support for other platforms should make
Haiku's code base more robust, however I do worry about out-of-date
ports and code.

At the end of the day, its all down to developers.  If Axel decided to
throw his x86 machines away and spent all his time on the PowerPC
port, I don't think anyone could complain - work is getting done, and
the project is moving along.

If you want to work on it - work on it!

--
Thanks,