[openbeos] Re: The importance of good communications

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:57:04 +0200 CEST

"Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have seen several attempts over the past year(s?)
> of people trying to get involved. Every time they are
> send away with the message that 'networking' needs work.
> They go to a list, ask the question again and eventually bail
> out. Is it impossible to get involved? No, I'm reasonably
> informed, follow multiple lists and keep an eye on the svn
> repository, and I do know what needs to be done.

Niels puts his finger on an issue which I interpret as: why do new-come
developers bail out, and why do community old-timers, like yours truly,
sit on the bench. For the most part we can't blame this on the Haiku
developers/leadership. I'm sure every case is unique. We've got
information, communication channels, and smart people. Maybe it's true
that everyone's too busy with actual coding. Can we pool our resources
differently? Are there any small things we can change to enable growth?
The upcoming, more functional project website is at least a step in the
right direction, but in the end it's people who make things happen.

One danger I see in the current Haiku social structure is that the
people who don't contribute directly (mostly "non-coders") can feel
left out. The developers are the leadership. Even coders that don't
contribute can feel marginalized. Of course, this is an aspect of open-
source, or any project, really.

A. How to welcome / kickstart / guide
   new (but experienced) developers
 - one on one mentorship ?
 - fast track versions of "BeOS: Porting Unix Applications",
 common issues and solutions, the BeBook and the
 Be[Dev|Code]Talk FAQ

B. How to empower the people in our community that
 want to learn or grow their development skills
 This is probably too time-consuming.
 It takes a long time, and you're never finished

C. How to include the people that don't have a desire to code
- Make lists of what applications you like on other systems,
 and how you'd like them to work in Haiku.
- Tell developers how their software meets or fails
 your expectations.
- Write articles / or informally share information on how
 to accomplish tasks of all kinds, using BeOS/Haiku tools.
- Network, hang out, share.
- Spread the "5-7-5" in other forums. (politely!)
 It might be wise to wait until we ourselves are happy
 with the state of Haiku, closer to R1.
 http://haiku5-7-5.com/page8.html ;)

/Jonas Sundström.              www.kirilla.com