[openbeos] Re: Networking : R5 or BONE

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 07:50:50 +0100 (MET)

En réponse à John Gabriele <jandl@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Ok. So, at some low level, the NIC knows how to accept a hardware
> frame
> and write it into its buffer. Between that and, say, recv() is where
> this network
> stack is doing all its work?
Yup

> Does the network stack call functions in the NIC driver (kernel
> add-on)
> to get its lowest-level dirty-work done?

Well, the core part calls the driver hooks, but both are part of the network
stack. NIC drivers are just 'add-ons' to the network stack.

> Ahh... I see. The only part that will actually be running in user-mode
> is
> the NetKit C++ code (which I believe is quite similar to the Nettle
> lib:
> http://www.bebits.com/app/1044
>  -- a network object library implemented it terms of sockets calls (I
> think)).

Hmmm, I don't know exactly the issue there, but if I understood correctly,
it _is_ the Nettle Library (with some more wrapping around).
Just have a look at file:///boot/develop/headers/be/NetworkKit.h
Funny it's also on BeBits, didn't know that =)

> Wow. So, when Travis is done there, NewOS will have the sockets api
> all ready to go. (?) Isn't that a huge piece of work? I mean,... HUGE?
> I think I'm mistaken here...
The last time I talked to him on IRC, he was already playing with UDP packets =)
Not to say it's hard, but it seems he went quite quick.

François.