[openbeos] Re: Networking : R5 or BONE

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:18:05 EST (-0500)

> > Now, Axel, say if Zoidberg does a userland net stack... as we were
> > already planning to do. I think we could do this properly, don't
> > you?
> > :P
>
> Of course I think we could do this, but I think it really makes more
> sense to support the development of OpenBeOS' network stack instead
> of
> rolling our own, just to have a user-land stack.
> As long as you don't make any bugs, the kernel-space is no evil. Just
> consider FreeBSD which is IMHO one of the most stable systems out
> there.

I've looked at the way BONE was designed, and although it may be fast,
it is quite ugly. As (IMHO) one of the least ugly things in kernel
space I've ever seen, it doesn't bode well for ours. Also, BONE had
quite a minimum of extensibility. (There were, if I remember correctly,
only four or so addon layers).
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Fine day to throw a party.  Throw him as far as you can.