[openbeos] Re: Networking : R5 or BONE

  • From: Skye Poier <skye@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:31:43 -0800

Word on the street is that Erik Reid said:
> >What for do we need the net_server, then?
>
> It'd run the FTP or Telnet or whatever services we've got.. Load/unload the
> networking modules automatically..  I dunno, hadn't really thought about it,
> just figured it 'should' be there so that we have a standard way to handle
> userland networking bits.. :)

I dont think this is a good way to go, we should use GNU or BSD or
whatever separate daemons for well-known net services wherever
possible, not only to decrease dev time but also to benefit from their
security fixes etc.  This of course would entail being able to compile
those things on R1 which I'm not sure of..

Skye