[openbeos] Re: Networking : R5 or BONE

  • From: Erik Reid <reide@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:47:01 -0700

Quoth "unlyrn":
>'llo all...
>this is probably in a FAQ somewhere; if so I guess I missed it
>
>Is the OpenBEOS (R1) Networking Kit going to be a reimplementation of the
>BeOS r5 type networking stack, or rather will it be based around BONE?
>
>Since BONE is obviously vastly superior, and largely (completely?) backwards
>compatible, it seems silly to implement the (rather lacking) r5 stack when
>there is the foundation for something much better.
>
>Moreover, most of the recent networking apps I've seen on BeBits etc seem to
>be based around BONE (or at least, have BONE optimisations)
>
>One of the biggest complaints I've had from potential BeOS users is the poor
>networking, BONE certainly addresses this (and more), but if there's some
>reason why its Not To Be, I'd be curious to know what the story is...
>unless you're actually using the BONE source code (and I'm sure thats not an
>issue) I can't see any (legal) problems with it...

I think the current intention in the netkit group is to use the newos kernel
network stack, with the BONE and regular R5 APIs available, so that we can
keep source and maybe binary compatibility(if that works out).

If anybody wants to discuss this further, it should probably be taken to the
netkit list, openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx