[openbeos] Re: MIPS32 port for GSoC

  • From: "Matt white" <mattwhi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:33:49 -0400

The most likely reason is that the money is in windows computers. Especially
for video card makers, since other platforms gaming isnt as strong as
window's then why would then want to make drivers for them?

On 3/21/07, Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2007/3/21, Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems <dsuden@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> > it still remains Haiku is still in alpha and some wouldn't even call
> it
> > that and it has some big shoes to fill. I think once R1 is out,
> perhaps
> > the main dev core can take some time to experiment with other
> platforms
> > before the move onto R2 begins.
>
> It's taken years to get to near-Alpha, but it would have taken years
> longer if all of the focus and effort hadn't stayed as keenly
> concentrated as it has.  I could be wrong about this, but it strikes me
> that one goal, when it's a goal as big as the Haiku desktop, is plenty.
> If Haiku ever reaches critical mass, and the programmers start "piling
> on," then it *might* make more sense to consider non-desktop
> possibilites, but even then, if there were indeed lots more programmers
> joining in, wouldn't it make the most sense to use that added muscle to
> continue to streamline and improve the Haiku desktop experience, develop
> drivers, etc?
>
> Dane (who'd be happy if Haiku worked well tomorrow, better later, and
> eventually became an irresistible force and took over the world)  :-)

Yes developing drivers would be very important.
I still haven't figured out hardwaremanufactorers only developing M$W
drivers.
Probably something to do with money and M$ restrictions.

Arnold

--
Matthew White, Head of computers for the less fortunate.