[openbeos] Re: MIPS32 port for GSoC

  • From: Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems <dsuden@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:45:10 -0500

> it still remains Haiku is still in alpha and some wouldn't even call it
> that and it has some big shoes to fill. I think once R1 is out, perhaps
> the main dev core can take some time to experiment with other platforms
> before the move onto R2 begins.

It's taken years to get to near-Alpha, but it would have taken years longer if all of the focus and effort hadn't stayed as keenly concentrated as it has. I could be wrong about this, but it strikes me that one goal, when it's a goal as big as the Haiku desktop, is plenty. If Haiku ever reaches critical mass, and the programmers start "piling on," then it *might* make more sense to consider non-desktop possibilites, but even then, if there were indeed lots more programmers joining in, wouldn't it make the most sense to use that added muscle to continue to streamline and improve the Haiku desktop experience, develop drivers, etc?

Dane (who'd be happy if Haiku worked well tomorrow, better later, and eventually became an irresistible force and took over the world) :-)