[openbeos] Re: MIPS32 port for GSoC

  • From: "Matt white" <mattwhi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:22:33 -0400

this is true. But i think the bigger purpose of this discussion was the road
map of haiku after the R1 release. There are many different platforms out
there that would turn Haiku into less of a desktop OS and more of a hobbyist
Linux type deal, and don't forget WE are not Linux. Although we can learn
much from them. My thoughts are that a ps3 port if possible would be able to
fulfill the purpose of BeOS even existing. But it still remains Haiku is
still in alpha and some wouldn't even call it that and it has some big shoes
to fill. I think once R1 is out, perhaps the main dev core can take some
time to experiment with other platforms before the move onto R2 begins.

On 3/20/07, Donovan Schulteis <deej575@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also believe that the whole IA game for Be was too early.  Some of the
stuff we were working on at Qubit on BeIA was just plain ahead of it's
time.  Not only did the hardware cost too much then, but the general
idea wasn't sticking too well with the consumer.  But, given we won 2 TechTV
best of categories, we were on the right path.  Now, 7 years later, I'm just
starting to see the stuff emerge into the market successfully.  I think what
killed us was cost of entry ($1500 for a tablet that performed less than a
much cheaper laptop), in addition to the fact that Be went out of business
and our investors didn't want to pony up money to either buy BeIA source or
start over on WinCE.  :P

That all said, to bring this back around to topic... MHO is that a 1.0release
on x86 should be the only priority at this time.  Once there, other
platforms can be examined... but the community needs the one complete
platform before starting to worry about others, nevermind the lack of an
army of devs to keep all platforms moving forward.  Stay focused on a single
target for now... ;)

Deej

--
Matthew White, Head of computers for the less fortunate.