[openbeos] Re: MIPS32 port for GSoC

  • From: "Petter Holt Juliussen" <post@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:16:11 +0100 (CET)

> Say the kernel is ported to something like an iPod or a smartphone. OK,
> the kernel may run on the device, but will it still have StyledEdit?
> ShowImage? All the irrelevant preference apps? I'd guess not - so then
> will the HaikuSmartPhoneImageBrowser written for that particular platform
> also be included in the Haiku tree even though it is useless on x86? Do we
> still want to call the system Haiku?

First; I don't think Haiku would be very useful on an iPod, but as a
Desktop environment on smartphones and PDAs it could be.

Why couldn't it still be called StyledEdit? It would need some
GUI-rearranging, sure, but it would still work somewhat the same, and it
would keep the brand strong. Same thing applies to all apps included in a
possible Haiku for embedded desktop devices.

When it comes to preferences, it would be as "simple" as deleting the ones
not needed on the device, and creating new ones only needed on such
platform - like calibrating touchscreen (which also could be useful on a
touchscreen LCD!).

> What I'm concerned about is that widening
> the scope of "Desktop" just leads to a loss of focus by the back door.

I can't see the problem here either. I think we all agree that Haiku would
be best of focusing on computer desktops *now* - as it ain't finished yet!
I think this is job for the future, when Haiku is more established and we
feel the need to expand.

Wouldn't it be great to come home, plug your smart phone in, mount it,
sync your people- and to-do-files? Dreaming doesn't hurt anyone, and who
knows what the future brings:

http://embedded.hug-nordic.org/?pic=haiku_embedded_320x240_running_apps.png