[haiku] Re: Looking for a mentor for a tutorial project

  • From: "matthew.nawrocki@xxxxxxxxx" <matthew.nawrocki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 14:42:10 -0400

Thank you for the tips Ryan. I will give the user guide a good look as well as
take on your other suggestions.

Mat

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On May 13, 2010 2:36 PM, Ryan Leavengood &lt;leavengood@xxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Matthew Nawrocki

&lt;matthew.nawrocki@xxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

&gt; Actually, on second thought... slides are really not needed as I would come

&gt; up with information of my own for the presentation. The hit-list of ideas

&gt; for what should be covered for the video tutorial would be a big help

&gt; however.

I think in general your looking over the User Guide could provide the

hit-list you need, along with any questions you might have when trying

to use Haiku yourself. It may be harder for those of us who are more

experienced to see things with the eyes of a new user. Though many of

us here could certainly provide some ideas for highlighting some of

Haiku's more unique features.

If any other new users are listening I think it could be helpful if

could provide any input you have on problems you had when you first

started using Haiku.

Also from the top of my head it might make sense to make the videos

from a perspective of transitioning someone from the other operating

systems. Haiku has quite a bit in common with Windows, Mac OS X and

Linux, and that could be used to quickly get users going by just

highlighting some differences (like the default Mac-style key-bindings

of Alt as the command key, instead of Ctrl like on Windows and Linux.)

Finally if I might make a suggestion, maybe the first video could be

something simple and short (4 or 5 minutes) that highlights the Haiku

install process, sort of a video version of

http://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/installation-guide

--

Regards,

Ryan