[haiku] Re: Looking for a mentor for a tutorial project

  • From: Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 21:05:07 -0400

Hello everyone:   I will be a senior at college come this August and I am to do
a senior thesis. Since I am a Communication Arts major, I am allowed to do some
sort of multimedia centric project instead of the customary thirty page paper.
I am thinking about doing a series of Haiku, Inc.-sanctioned video tutorials
that encompass all the aspects of the Haiku operating system in time for
Release 1. This way, people who are new to this OS are not daunted by numerous
forum postings or reading documentation. I was hoping to find a mentor for this
project so that I can get access to any resources I may need to succeed in my
project. I am hoping to have at *least* twenty minutes worth in tutorial
filming, but I say the more the merrier so that I will have plenty to show for
my advisor back at school. As long as it accomplishes the intended objective of
teaching and informing the viewer from a layman's perspective, that will be the
best. Thank you all!

I think a video into is a great thing.  May I throw in a few things to consider?

* Consider asking the people on the forums for some help.  In particular ask
some people to tell you about things like:
-- stuff that confused them when they first tried Haiku
-- stuff they are still confused about
-- videos they would really enjoy seeing

* Consider finding some people who have never used Haiku before and who are
willing to give it a try.  Use this kind of info to see what would be good
tutorial material....

-----
And on a slightly different note:
-----
* Have you ever considered doing any kind of "promotional" videos about Haiku?
What do I mean?  I mean like in the old BeOS promotional video style like this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1659841654840942756#
Granted, this would be a "major" project on it's own... but just thought I'd
mention it if you ever wanted to do more video work in the future. :)