[haiku] Re: [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: Jatsek Platsek <platsek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:34:29 -0700 (PDT)

What I can see here is a typical problem with developers never ready to stop
improving their piece of software. Haiku needs a manager who will pull it out
from your (developer) hands and make it finally released. Unfortunately it will
never happen from the simple reason: it is open source project and there is no
one manager. And you are still adding new features instead of trying to polish
what you already have. And you have enough in my opinion to freeze R1 features
list and stop extending it with some strange ideas to make it able to
read/write to ext3/ext4 (and other) partitions. Leave it for R2 for god sake.
Releasing R1 without support for all these, believe me - not so popular file
systems, will bring much more attention/developers to Haiku than creating
another compatibility layer. Even if it is not so scary from technological
point of view as it sounds.
I wish another reach man decided to conquer the world creating his own
operating system. But I wish he did take Haiku as his choice this time - not
Linux like this South Africa millionaire did with Ubuntu. It would give me a
hope that BeOS rebirth will really happen. Actually I still believe in that -
but less and less every time I hear about a new ideas which have nothing in
common with what you stated on Haiku official web page: "R1 roadmap:
essentially, a fully working and stable operating system. A viable replacement
for BeOS R5 (and later)." You are already here in case that you have not
noticed... even few steps further...
So, putting this simply - I am not against extending Haiku with new features -
but do not do it now... please. And when extending - do it right, with respect
to BeOS/Haiku philosophy.

Because I am 4 weeks (5 maybe) old Haiku user/developer - forgive me if it
sounds offensive to any of you. It wasn't my intention. Sometimes I just think
that you are here too long to remember what Haiku is all about and why it
started at all. I have read your official web page from first to the last page
and my memory is quite fresh...

Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Well, I don't get this strange idea with Linux kernel
>> serving as various file systems supplier.

> Haiku has the FreeBSD-derived network devicer driver layer,
> OSS for audio and makes use of ffmpeg for media support.
> (And how about CUPS?) This is not really that different.
> There is surely a lot of code out there that we do/will
> benefit from.

> While native code is preferred, these solutions serve a
> very good purpose.

> And as stated, it's not a fat penguin running on top of
> Haiku but a subset of the Linux kernel with every non-
> essential functionality stripped from it and compiled as
> a library. A library by itself does not get loaded into
> memory, and thus spends zero (0) CPU unless needed/used.
> I'm guessing its disk usage would be neglible, much much
> less than e.g. (I assume) the Qt port.

>> I thought that Haiku R1 is meant to recreate BeOS R5
>> functionality, which had never been able to read/write
>> those exotic file systems we are talking about.

> Let's not be conservative in absurdum.

>> Make Haiku great enough to let people forget that those
>> file systems have ever existed.

> We need to entice/hook/keep the people and projects that
> -made- all those wild and wonderous filesystems (etc)
> to make ourselves viable and relevant and stay so.

> (Or we'll sit in a corner with the People app listening
> to MidiPlayer and looking at fractals, while the rest of
> the world runs amok on Facebook and YouTube.)

>> The man who offered to work on that project seems to be
>> extremely clever. I am sure his skills can be used in
>> much better way to make Haiku more stable and mature.

> I think his proposed projects are exactly the right ones
> for him, and I would welcome either.

> Haiku has a less developers that know their way in kernel
> code, device drivers and filesystems than we have userland/
> application developers. This is a proposal that is just
> too good to pass on, IMO.

> /Jonas.

Czy juz jestes w Yahoo!?
Masz dosyc spamu?  Poczta Yahoo! dysponuje najlepsza ochrona przed spamem
http://pl.mail.yahoo.com