[haiku] Re: [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: Lucian Adrian Grijincu <lucian.grijincu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:19:44 +0300

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mh... Haiku being a BSD-Licensed project, I don't think it's a good idea to
> include the linux kernel as a 'core' component, knowing it's GPLed. The
> project may be nice as a thing external to haiku, adding extra
> functionnality

I'm completely aware of the licensing issue and how distributing code
linked to GPL would affect companies using Haiku.
IANAL, but I think distributing such a file system driver as a
loadable module would not let GPL go viral on the rest of the kernel.

> (I personally doesn't thing it's a clean way to do it and I
> know some people are worried by Qt being available on haiku, for example).
> But I don't think you can expect it to be a GSoC project with full support
> from Haiku. That's my personal opinion, of course other mentors may think
> otherwise.

> I use Haiku because it's light and fast, and I must admit I don't like the
> idea of adding the linux kernel to it in order to support a filesystem
> sounds quite wrong... We use other software when it makes sense (freetipe,
> icu and agg comes to mind); but we like things to be made the good way :
> simple and efficient code using the native features of the OS, and avoiding
> the layer-mess of linux (where I need kernel + glib + udev + hal + X11 +
> DRI/DRM + Qt/gtk + kde/gnome + metacity (or whatever other window manager)
> in order to run some simple application...). If we wanted to use the linux
> kernel, I think we'd have done it from the beginning instead of growing our
> own one.

Such objections were raised for ndiswrapper but some users found value in it.

I understand why you don't see this as a morally/ideologically correct solution.

I know how convoluted the Linux ext3/4 code can be, especially when
you throw journalization into the mix and I have seen problems created
by file systems silently eating away data.

I don't think it's a clean way to do things either, but I see it as a
pragmatic choice: have the functionality here, now and concentrate on
the things that make Haiku great.

--
 .
..: Lucian