[haiku] Re: [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 23:16:37 +0200 CEST

Le Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:42:01 +0200, Ingo Weinhold a écrit :
> On 2010-04-07 at 18:19:55 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > IMHO we cannot truely afford the position you take.
> >
> > I have been hearing this argument for years, but AFAICT, Haiku
> > keeps
> > getting better
>
> It certainly does. But aren't other operating system getting better
> even
> faster? E.g. the file system query feature that was once unique in
> BeOS and
> Haiku has long been beaten by Mac OS X. The usability nightmare that
> Linux

Been using OSX for a while now and it does have huge problems on
accessibility & other fronts (like no keyboard navigation in alerts).
Still some things a well done (usually as in guess what...).
The problem being they often claim having invented it in the first
place ;)

> There are enough things that speak for Haiku, but by ignoring non-
> native
> (based) software we'd effectively give up completely on the feature
> front. If
> some people are fine with an OS that requires them to boot into other
> OSs to
> get certain things done, good for them. I'm not, though.

+1

> Nevertheless? Get real! If Haiku wouldn't heavily lean on ported
> software
> (and yes, the vast majority of software in a Haiku release *is*
> ported
> software) it would be nowhere near usable. In the current development
> activities there's a pretty obvious trend where large components are
> concerned (Wifi, ACPI, WebKit, Gallium3D). And rightly so! Until the
> Haiku
> development team sports 100+ full-time members the all-native
> approach is
> simply not going to work (and even then it wouldn't be reasonable
> IMO).

The problem is not porting, but how it's done.
Good ports can feel quite native, bad native software can feel like
ported one :D

François.