[haiku] Re: [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 17:27:18 +0200

Le Wed, 07 Apr 2010 17:07:37 +0200, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> a écrit:

There are actually two scenarios. One scenario is where a developer
discovers Haiku and finds it so great that he begins work on a feature that he misses. The other scenario, which your argumentation ignores, is that a potential developer discovers Haiku, but removes it from his hard drive and forgets about it soon after, for overwhelming lack of various features. The
critical mass is not reached for him. I wonder what happens more often...
Judging from how many new blood we manage to acquire, wouldn't you agree
it's more often the second scenario?
IMHO we cannot truely afford the position you take. It's always worth
dicussing with these things, since we need to actively prevent bloat, but in
this case I belive the project is worthwhile.

I'm actually in the first case, contributing patches to haiku since 2008 and not being able to use it at all for lack of network support. Just so you know. I find Haiku great enough to contribute to it without even using it...

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx