[haiku] Re: [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:27:04 +0200

Le Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:15:40 +0200, Lucian Adrian Grijincu <lucian.grijincu@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

I see it like ndiswrapper was for Linux a few years ago, and for some
cards still is: we can have the functionality here and now. We benefit
from having happier users (which might or might not turn into
developers) and from having time to work on more important tasks.
Eventually, as the development team grows, if it is seen necessary,
such external dependencies can be shed in favor of internally
developed ones.

Mh... Haiku being a BSD-Licensed project, I don't think it's a good idea to include the linux kernel as a 'core' component, knowing it's GPLed. The project may be nice as a thing external to haiku, adding extra functionnality (I personally doesn't thing it's a clean way to do it and I know some people are worried by Qt being available on haiku, for example). But I don't think you can expect it to be a GSoC project with full support from Haiku. That's my personal opinion, of course other mentors may think otherwise.

I use Haiku because it's light and fast, and I must admit I don't like the idea of adding the linux kernel to it in order to support a filesystem sounds quite wrong... We use other software when it makes sense (freetipe, icu and agg comes to mind); but we like things to be made the good way : simple and efficient code using the native features of the OS, and avoiding the layer-mess of linux (where I need kernel + glib + udev + hal + X11 + DRI/DRM + Qt/gtk + kde/gnome + metacity (or whatever other window manager) in order to run some simple application...). If we wanted to use the linux kernel, I think we'd have done it from the beginning instead of growing our own one.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx