[haiku] Re: [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:08:36 -0700

PulkoMandy wrote:
Le Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:07:15 +0200, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> a écrit:

Hm, IMHO some arguemnts don't really apply to the situation at hand. LKL
would only be a dependency if you want to use any of the filesystems it
offers. The CPU architecture argument may be relevant to Google apps and
Wine, but it wouldn't apply to LKL.
After my initial doubts, I am starting to follow Lucian's argumentation.
Each one of us has a different area of interest in the Haiku world. With
some stuff, we are just glad it works and we don't care how. We just want it to work reliably. For everyone of us who just wants a filesystem to work
reliably, LKL may be a good solution. For the very few who care greatly
about providing a native implementation for a particular FS, with great and
clean code, he can work on it and give LKL one less reason to be used.
After all, we do have a pretty annoying resource problem, where everyone is
already completely overwhelmed by work on so many things.

Sure, I think LKL is a way to get working fs support as a temporary solution and I'd definitely use it. But on the other hand, it's only meant to be temporary and I'm not sure I want a GSoC slot to be used for it. It would be a bit like getting a student working on the Qt port. Sure, this gets us KOffice running... but wouldn't we prefer a clean port of Abiword ?

I realize that my voice may not count as I am not a mentor, but allow me to say anyway that I am with PulkoMandy here. For a Haiku GSoC project, I would rather see a student work on improving the native filesystem drivers instead, to make them better, faster and more stable. That would be a well-spent GSoC slot IMO.

In all my ignorance, I also fear that if something like LKL would become available, even if as an option, it would remove the incentive from (present and future) developers to do any development for or enhancements to the native filesystem support, and I have a hard time seeing that as a good thing in the long run.

Cheers,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net