[openbeos] Re: For R1 or R2: /home on separate partition?

  • From: Erik Reid <reide@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:19:59 -0700

Quoth Mark-Jan Bastian:
>On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 05:31:27PM +0100, Michael Noisternig wrote:
>> "Anton du Toit" <adutoit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 15.01.02 15:04:57:
>> >
>> >Just an idea - would it be possible to put /home on a separate
>> >partition? So Partition 1 is OS only, and Partition 2 is user data only.
>>
>> make a link to your home dir on your 2nd partition. ;-)
>
>This won't work, since the 2nd partition is not mounted during bootup,
>so additional drivers and settings in ~/config are not accessible
>until the tracker has mounted the 2nd partition.
>
>Another, maybe nicer solution would be a 'lock' on the systemfiles,
>so that no application can put or change anything in /boot/beos, and
>if an application tries, the OS pops up a password dialog to let that
>application (and it's child processes) to override the protection,
>until the application quits.
>Implementing this lock in a general way for storing files in folder
>that users want to keep private, is maybe nice too.

What if someone does a complete reinstall including a format?

I think having a separate drive for /home is a really good idea, and
a workaround should be put into the boot process to be able to handle
this.  I didn't realize it didn't already work that way.  It should
be made possible to mount just about everything from some other partition,
excluding a few obviously necessary system bits.

Drivers can be probed whenever they want anyways, so there shouldn't
be a problem, as long as they're available when the other kits that
need drivers start up, such as net kit or interface kit.