[openbeos] Re: For R1 or R2: /home on separate partition?

  • From: "olli@xxxxxxx" <olli@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:22:55 +0100

>> So you are against the idea of starting by having a R5 equivalent?
>
>No no, don't get me wrong, I just wanted to consider alternatives that
>won't take more time to implement than the original behaviour.

Personally I believe a Pref_Server of some kind, along with a decent XML-Format
for storing an Applications
settings should not be that hard to implement (although it might underestimate
the XML-Part here). Including one in
the initial release and having the Preference Apps replacements used when
approiate, while staying compatible to
the old way of storing (if possible) should not be huge task.

>Some kind of "Forward thinking", but perhaps it takes to much time to
>discuss the viable alternatives, so just do it later :-)

Well, whoever wants to write a simple Pref_Server and define that Settings-DTD,
sure why not. If it is going to be
included in R1 or not, we`ll see.
As I personally like that idea, I propose whoever is interested in actual doing
something, mails me off-list, and we`ll
discuss further proceedings. I just don´t want another "We definetly need this
almost-unrelated-feature fast"-
Thread emerge.

Tschoe,

        Olli