[openbeos] Re: For R1 or R2: /home on separate partition?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:30:44 +0100 (MET)

> However, notice when you format a partition with BFS..  it's already
> got a
> home directory.  That's a default system folder on each bfs
> partition.
> Anything in that home/Desktop folder is displayed on the desktop,
> etc.  It'd
> take a semi major change to BFS and that is not within the scope of
> OpenBeOS
> R1 (which this mailing list is about).  Might wanna take this to the
> glasselevator mailing list instead.

The home folder doesn't have to do anything with the underlying file
system, in fact it's just OpenTracker which creates that (sometimes
annoying) home directory to have a place where to put files when you
move them to Trash.
It's that simple.
We could just move the Trash directory to the root (of the disk, not
root fs) and have a link to it from the Desktop. That would also do the
trick and you could still hide that directory from within Tracker.
I would also vote for moving "Desktop" into the config folder where
there would be no reason to hide it any longer (even Windows doesn't
hide it).

Adios...
   Axel.