[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:15:44 +0100

2009/2/15 Rick Hansen <in_rapture@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Personally, I prefer having application specific
> directories, and placing all of the dependencies in
> that directory. It does place the burden on the app
> developer to have available all of the dependencies,
> but in my opinion this makes for a better user
> experience.

But if there's a bug in one of your shared libraries, used by many
apps, you have to update all the copies of the shared libraries in the
system.
Basically, this choice defeats the purpose of the shared libraries.
By the way, there is no "dependency hell" in linux, if you only
install software from official repositories. At least with Ubuntu or
OpenSuse.