[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Mauro de Wit <maurodewit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:35:23 +0100

> Sorry, I *REALLY* can't see the problems all you people have with
> installing software on "Linux" (btw. which distributions are you talking
> about?). In every major distribution I used till today, installing
> software from a central repository is the most straightforward way of
> doing this ever invented. Every current software that I install in
> [Ubuntu,Debian,OpenSUSE,Fedora,...] either is a command line app, then
> you just run it from command line. Just type gcc and you're set. Or it's
> a GUI app, then it almost for sure has a .desktop file and you just
> start it from the menu of whatever desktop you're using. If it hasn't
> got a .desktop file, the package really should be considered broken,
> which is not a matter of the WAY you install it. That's it. Honestly...
> poof... where's the problem?!

After using Ubuntu on a daily basis for over a year, I did't know something
like a .desktop file even existed. What I was trying to say, is that it took
me a lot of time to get used too this way of installing software and to
understand were the application files are stored. When I install an
application, I want to know were the files are stored.
So you can act *REALLY* surprised and state that is very clear for you, this
is not the case for me. Apparently, you are an experienced user. But for a
successful OS you need to aim for the less experienced audience also.

A quote from the Haiku website:
*"Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku aims to provide users of all levels with a
personal computing experience that is simple yet powerful, and free of any
unnecessary complexities."*

I agree whith you that installing software on Haiku is easy, but I just
wanted to point out that I hope it doesn't move to a Linux-like model.