[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:54:20 +1100

On 2009-02-16, Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/2/15 Rick Hansen <in_rapture@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Personally, I prefer having application specific
> > directories, and placing all of the dependencies in
> > that directory. It does place the burden on the app
> > developer to have available all of the dependencies,
> > but in my opinion this makes for a better user
> > experience.
>
> But if there's a bug in one of your shared libraries, used by many
> apps, you have to update all the copies of the shared libraries in the
> system.
> Basically, this choice defeats the purpose of the shared libraries.
> By the way, there is no "dependency hell" in linux, if you only
> install software from official repositories. At least with Ubuntu or
> OpenSuse.

Unfortunately,developers are unable to create shared libraries that
maintain backward compatability and it is too easy to replace a newer
version with an older version and so break apps.

Having 1 directory for all libraries leads to dll hell and without a
good installer, dependency hell
Having a library folder per application wastes some disk space but the
user and developer knows that the application will just work out of
the box.

If the library needs updating then the developer is likely to release
a new version with the new library after appropriate testing.

The end user is also welcome to run a query to find all locations of
the library, replace them with whatever they found on a russian web
site and cross their fingers. :-)

--
Cheers
David