[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Michael Kanis <mkanis@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:09:49 +0100

Am Montag, den 16.02.2009, 11:35 +0100 schrieb Mauro de Wit:

> After using Ubuntu on a daily basis for over a year, I did't know
> something like a .desktop file even existed.
That's good. Because you don't need to know to run the app. It shows the
devs did a good job. Have a look at /usr/share/applications, if you're
curious.

> When I install an application, I want to know were the files are
> stored.
Why? If you're an "experienced user", you might already know. If you
aren't you shouldn't care. I think. Of course I can be wrong. Just click
Applications | Internet | Firefox, assuming you use Gnome. It's pretty
much the same for KDE.

Also please don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend anybody. I'm
probably into easy computing as much as you. :-)
But for me that also means, that most users just don't care HOW the
software works as long as it just works (TM). My mom and dad don't want
to know where the files are stored on the disk. They are my model users,
when I write software. ;-)

Regards
Michael