[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Michael Kanis <mkanis@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:09:44 +0100

Am Montag, den 16.02.2009, 10:10 +0100 schrieb Mauro de Wit:
> I just hope installing an application will not be as confusing as in
> Linux.
> In principle installing an app from the official repositories is easy.
> You type apt-get install CoolApp and it will install all needed
> dependencies and the apps binaries..... poof... Done!
> But then what? Where did the binary go? How do I start the app?

Sorry, I *REALLY* can't see the problems all you people have with
installing software on "Linux" (btw. which distributions are you talking
about?). In every major distribution I used till today, installing
software from a central repository is the most straightforward way of
doing this ever invented. Every current software that I install in
[Ubuntu,Debian,OpenSUSE,Fedora,...] either is a command line app, then
you just run it from command line. Just type gcc and you're set. Or it's
a GUI app, then it almost for sure has a .desktop file and you just
start it from the menu of whatever desktop you're using. If it hasn't
got a .desktop file, the package really should be considered broken,
which is not a matter of the WAY you install it. That's it. Honestly...
poof... where's the problem?!

Another good way is how Apple does it. However almost all that wrote
about it on that list the last days got it wrong. The thing about it is
NOT the dmg images. This is just a nice addition, the app could as well
be downloaded in a zip or anything else. Haiku can already mount images,
AFAIK. The thing about how Apple does this are "app folders". They look
like a binary to you, but really they are folders, containing not only
the binary but also all necesary files, including possibly libraries,
data etc. This has nothing todo with dmg images, but is a separate
thing.

Nevertheless, according to my experience HAIKU already has everything
that's needed to make easy installable software. It's just up to the
ones who write that software to use it.

Regards
Michael