[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. VI. The Packages.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:38:33 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> We haven't voted on this, but I believe the majority wasn't against
> replacing vim by nano by default and having vim available only as
> optional
> package.

Indeed.

> A related question is, what ported software we want to keep in our
> repository. We could remove most ports from src/bin and provide them
> as
> (not so) optional packages instead. Advantages would be (a) that it
> would
> make the repository and build smaller and (b) reduce maintenance
> work.
> Disadvantage: The Haiku repository would no longer be self-contained,
> so
> that one would have to download those packages, and for ports to
> other
> architectures one would have to cross-compile the software.

The other eventual disadvantage would be needed customizations (like
handling attributes in "mv" and "cp"), and/or testing of newer
versions.
IMO, needing to install more packages would be acceptable as long as it
would be done automatically when building Haiku (and if we maybe had a
target that resolves all such dependencies without actually building
Haiku).

Bye,
   Axel.