[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. VI. The Packages.

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:17:55 -0400

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd be against setting any other project's repo as a dependency.  A stable
> pre-built image is one thing, but to rely on another project's repo is just
> asking for our build to get broken.

All versioning systems allow checking out specific revisions. Whatever
system we set up for managing external code (should we choose to do
so), can be set up to check out specific known working versions. When
an update needs to be made a developer updates their version of the
external repo, compiles and tests, then updates the revision number in
our system. Surely that is easier then having to import large pieces
of code into our repo.

Whether or not this is ever set up for stuff already in our repo
(Mesa, etc), it will definitely be needed in the future if we ever
decide to have built-in HTML support via WebKit. Let me tell you that
you don't want WebKit in our repo, nor would I want to have to
maintain such a beast. I'm sure other examples will come up.

The main thing will be to have this set up very nicely so that it is a
simple command to download all the external repos and put them in the
right place. Since our build system already supports downloading
external packages and putting them in the image, this is pretty
feasible.

Regards,
Ryan