[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. VI. The Packages.

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:45:21 +0200

On 2009-06-01 at 23:27:46 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > A related question is, what ported software we want to keep in our
> > repository. We could remove most ports from src/bin and provide them as
> > (not so) optional packages instead. Advantages would be (a) that it
> > would
> > make the repository and build smaller and (b) reduce maintenance work.
> > Disadvantage: The Haiku repository would no longer be self-contained,
> > so
> > that one would have to download those packages, and for ports to other
> > architectures one would have to cross-compile the software.
>
> The other eventual disadvantage would be needed customizations (like
> handling attributes in "mv" and "cp"), and/or testing of newer versions.
> IMO, needing to install more packages would be acceptable as long as it
> would be done automatically when building Haiku (and if we maybe had a
> target that resolves all such dependencies without actually building
> Haiku).

If such a change has an immediate benefit and is well tested, like I
presume the vim change is, I would be ok with it. However at this time, I
would be against doing such changes just for the sake of moving stuff out
of the Haiku source tree without any other immediate benefit besides
reducing build time. There is no problem in doing this later, after we have
released alpha/1.

Best regards,
-Stephan