[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. VI. The Packages.

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 13:05:14 +0200

On 2009-05-31 at 23:54:15 [+0200], Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > PS: And what about vim 6.3 still living in The Tree?
>
> I believe the plan was to remove 6.3 from the tree and just have vim
> installed via optional package. I may be wrong, I'd have to dig into
> the archives.

We haven't voted on this, but I believe the majority wasn't against
replacing vim by nano by default and having vim available only as optional
package.

A related question is, what ported software we want to keep in our
repository. We could remove most ports from src/bin and provide them as
(not so) optional packages instead. Advantages would be (a) that it would
make the repository and build smaller and (b) reduce maintenance work.
Disadvantage: The Haiku repository would no longer be self-contained, so
that one would have to download those packages, and for ports to other
architectures one would have to cross-compile the software.

CU, Ingo