[haiku-development] Re: (USB MIDI) Device hierarchy

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:05:30 -0800

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 08:35:54AM +0100, Enrique Medina Gremaldos wrote:
> Hi pete, my Roland usb-to-midi adapter has both input and output MIDI. After
> swapping endpoints and rebuilding the driver, it appears as /dev/midi/usb/0.
> But it works as input and output (tested from midisynth). I had no luck with
> another usb midi keyboard, default driver only receives one read callback,
> swapping endpoints gets the constant stream of zeros.
>
> I know, I need to provide with more technical details, but need to be at
> home! :D
As Philippe says, if you can attach a 'listusb -v' to the ticket it might
help a lot.  And, actually, as it sounds as if you have Ubuntu, 'lsusb -v'
from that might be even better for me!  I guess they both supply the same
details, but the Linux one is much easier for me to comprehend...

> PD: With keyboard and Haiku output, key hit latency is inaudible (at least
> for me). Can't do the same with ubuntu, with almost a 1/8 second lag.

Repeating my question in the ticket -- is that **audio** output from
the synth?  With the auich audio in my box the latency is of the order
of 1/2 sec! (:-().  OTOH on a fairly old, slow, Ubuntu machine, I get
pretty snappy midi->audio (undetectable latency).  I did have to configure
things [forget the details] and run as superuser to achieve it, though.

        -- Pete --