[haiku-development] Re: (USB MIDI) Device hierarchy

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:47:35 +0000

Hi,

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 13:09 +0100, Philippe Houdoin wrote:
> Which means probably that both usb_hid and usb_midi kernel drivers are
> accessing the device concurrently.
> It should be possible, but maybe we don't support it well right now.
>
> Please file a bug ticket for this issue, as it could be a deeper issue
> than just USB MIDI support.

This issue has been a common one for other devices as well, e.g. webcams
with a microphone, having both usb_audio and usb_video use it. The best
solution for this I have been able to come up with is using the new
driver model, where drivers register against usb interfaces instead of
the whole device.

It is possible to get it to work with the current usb
stack/architecture, but it is fairly tricky to get right IIRC...

Ithamar.