[haiku-development] (USB MIDI) Device hierarchy

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:58:25 -0800

Hi,
   I'm looking into implementing full multi-port support in usb_midi.
Not quite sure yet how tricky it's going to be, but I have one initial
question to put to the wider expertise.

I currently have two MIDI-USB interfaces plugged in, and they appear
as /dev/midi/usb/0 and /dev/midi/usb/1.  However, one of them is
actually a two-port device (of which I can only currently access
the first), so both ports will have to eventually show up as separate
devices.

My question is: should the ports appear as (say) /dev/midi/usb/1
and /dev/midi/usb/2, or -- as they're actually a single device --
as /dev/midi/usb/1/0 and /dev/midi/usb/1/1 -- one extra level down?

Thanks,
        -- Pete --