[haiku-development] R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:47:03 +0000

Hi,

I made an R1/alpha4 milestone in Trac and assigned the tickets.
The tickets, which were already mentioned, have been updated to it.
 #'s 7707, 8001, 8028, 8318, 8339

https://dev.haiku-os.org/milestone/R1/alpha4

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 23:10, Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Would March 18th be too soon for a release?
>
> I assume the goal would be to get it released before GSoC begins?
> March 18th seems pretty fast to me, especially if we factor in at
> least a week for image testing.

Yes (on the assumption Haiku is chosen as a mentoring org).

An early release would allow all prospective students to use the same
version of Haiku. Seeing as that's 4 weeks from now, it does seem too
narrow a window.

How does this schedule sound?
 * branching on March 10th (the second Saturday)
 * freezing the release branch on April 21st (the third Saturday)
 * releasing on May 14th (the second Monday)

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 08:44, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hrev43507
> has changed the size and layout of the mbstate_t structure, which is being
> used by many optional packages. Because of this change, I'd think that all
> optional packages that have not been rebuilt on top of hrev43507 or later
> are very likely to cause crashes and/or weird behaviour.

Oliver explained this some more on IRC. All pre-built software is
affected, be it gcc2 or gcc4.
And "as a result, they're currently not allocating enough space, which
will overwrite other stuff on the stack/heap"

If an optional package is rebuilt on a nightly image, would it need to
be rebuilt once the release branch is updated with version
information?

--mmadia