[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 02:53:21 -0500

I don't have anything technically relevant to input, as I'm neither a
developer nor even a real programmer etc...

But I felt compelled to at least put in my 2 cents as a Haiku fan and
user from an emotional standpoint.

It pains me to see this talk about ditching the current API (with its
Be nostalgia and sense of nativeness etc) to replace it with Qt.

It feels like all the things that make Haiku unique and cohesive are
being ditched for the sake of expedience. The trend of trying to be
BSD licensed, to try to do things natively where possible, etc. It
made Haiku feel more clean and special and unique.

Now it feels like with all this talk of "let's just ditched all the
native stuff and principles and just go for pragmatism... ease of
porting and popularity for the general masses who won't know or care
really" that it's just turning into another "Linux"... a mish-mash of
disparate stuff all glued together. It's one of the feelings I never
liked about Linux (having been using it for 15 years now) and now to
see Haiku seemingly heading down that path makes me feel sad.

To me there's a difference between using some device drivers with glue
on the back end... or using the webkit engine in a native browser
app... rather than tossing out the native apps entirely and the whole
toolkit etc... it's like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Again, I'm not technically qualified to have my opinion have any
weight... I'm just speaking as an ignorant Haiku user/fan. Please
don't flame me too hard. :)

--
猿も木から落ちる