[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 01:33:52 -0500

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If it makes you feel any better I have long had plans to borrow any
> useful code from the Chromium project for Web+, if it can be used
> without too much hassle. But finding the time to even investigate that
> sort of thing is the main issue.

Responding to myself because I realize we have gotten really off-topic
of this thread, sorry. (I blame Stephan for bringing up WebKit! ;) )

In general I don't think anything about WebKit or Web+ should delay
the alpha4 release. If I or someone else can make improvements, great,
but it isn't critical.

I think the schedule Matt suggested sounds OK, and maybe even a bit
too long. If we didn't make such a big deal out of alpha releases and
did them more often they wouldn't have to become so difficult. It is
sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy: we make a big deal out of each
release and try to make them perfect so they can last a while because
we don't want to have to go through that difficult process very often.
But the reality is we find out that they weren't perfect pretty
quickly and it doesn't take long for them to become outdated and
useless. Maybe if we released more informally more often this would
all be easier...but that is probably a discussion for another time.

--
Regards,
Ryan