[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:42:32 +0100

On 20.02.2012 02:00, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
To sum that up: 1. The 8 byte alignment currently used in Haiku is fine, but
the heuristics will break for x86_64. 2. It is probably worth looking into the
__alignof__() behavior of our gccs (i.e. why gcc 2 returns 4 for long long and
why gcc 4 for Haiku and Linux 32 bit differ for double).

It may be worth checking this out in relation with enabling JIT compilation in JavaScriptCore. To turn it on is a simple define in the platform header (forgot the name maybe Platform.h ... it's the one that everything includes). JavaScriptCore employs some really weird trickery that breaks if alignment doesn't meet certain asumptions. But in any case, the improved POSIX signal stuff may also suddenly make the JIT compilation stuff work in JavaScriptCore. Unfortunately, I have no time to explore this.

Best regards,
-Stephan