[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mozilla did away with a lot of the native platform rendering layer way back
> around Firefox 2, replacing it with a Cairo-based one. IIRC the challenge of
> getting a Cairo port going was the biggest blocker to us keeping up to date
> with Firefox releases. I have no idea if Cairo is still the way all
> platforms do their rendering in Firefox, or what other changes have been
> made to the platform abstraction in the (many, many) years since I last
> looked.

Actually, they only use Cairo as a fallback drawing engine now -
they've created their own native engine called "Azure" which is
stateless, and supports most of the same surfaces. It seems they've
done this to reduce the complexity and improve 3d layer compositing
performance.

They still use Cairo for printing support, however.

> That is true, the UI essentially uses the same rendering engine (or at
> least, it did at one point) so as soon as the engine worked a full browser
> UI should not be far behind. It might be worth trying with a GSoC project,
> and we might get lucky with the student. The interface used to be horrid for
> embedding into a native browser application (which is why Apple went with
> WebKit for Safari), but even "standard" Firefox would be a nice alternative
> to have.

Furthermore, Firefox *does* support Qt widgets, which might give us an
option for the porting effort until we can build native widget support
for Haiku.

Just some things to think about :)

- Urias