[haiku-development] Re: Pushing for R1 (Final)

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:52:23 +0100

Le 14/11/2010 00:41, Matt Madia a écrit :
Is anyone willing to have an earnest push for R1 (Final)?

Basically, documenting the actual issues that are preventing R1 Beta's
and for R1 (Final) to be released. (whether it be bugs, missing
implementations/features, documentation, infrastructure, other tools
....)
I think it would also need documenting what's not preventing it, ie, starting to think about what will be in R2. That would include multiuser support, switching to gcc4 as the main compiler (or llvm), and so on.
This has been started at http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/PlansOfConquest
This page could be used as a collaboration point, much like PackageManagerIdeas
So far it looks fine, but from my experience of open source development, this kind of discussions tend to end up in big unreadable wiki pages and ML threads and no action taken. Take care of it. I think it's time to start really triaging tickets in trac, creating the milestones (beta1 and R2) and moving tickets where they belong. It's still possible to move things around if other choices are made later, so don't wait forever, all you do can be undone.
... Speaking of which, Package Management is the 'elephant in the
room' as far as missing features. What can be done about this and who
is willing to do it (even if finances are required?
I think R1should provide at least an upgrade path to R2. The ful-featured package manager with handling of 3rd party apps and other similar stuff can wait a little more. However, we need the 'upgrade path' solution in a beta version, to be able to test it between 2 releases (last beta and R1 Release Candidate / Golden Master) to make sure it works in real life.

The package manager grown so big no one is willing to start.

Overall, the current 'plan of conquest' looks mostly fine to me. Maybe actually creating the milestones in trac will make some questions rise up, but then we can still change the plan a bit.
--
Adrien.