[haiku-development] Re: Pushing for R1 (Final)

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:40:31 +0000

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 18:06, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 26.11.2010, 17:33 +0000 schrieb Matt Madia:
>> Thanks. The content of FutureHaikuFeatures is being duplicated as
>> http://www.haiku-os.org/r1-final-features-poll , to easily allow a
>> general interest poll (open to all). An open-ended suggestion box is
>> included on the general interest poll, in case there's features that
>> have been overlooked.
>
> [...]
>
>> If you've any suggestions or objections, please voice them now.
>> Otherwise I'll assume silence = agreement.
>
> Just a quick idea: Should the release of R1 be bound to the outcome of
> the poll, or should the active committers have some kind of veto power?
> I think it would be interesting if the committers could only veto
> against inclusion of features, but not veto pro inclusion. This way the
> community could only remove blockers in order to see the R1 release
> sooner, but they couldn't add more blockers and delay the release
> indefinitely. Am I making sense? :-) In terms of changing the Wiki page,
> I am just suggesting to add an appropriate disclaimer to make this
> clear, should we all agree it's a good idea.

Having both the general interest poll and FutureHaikuFeatures has been
on my mind for the past few days. What would happen if one differed
greatly than the other? How much longer are we willing to delay R1?
How many features are we willing to strip from R1 (even ones that are
in BeOS R5)? ... this concerned me and is why I didn't move on this sooner.

The only thing that consoles me about having the two polls is that I'm
confident that the outcome of the general interest poll will carry some
type of weight in the final decisions about R1 -- even if that weight
is only each individual contributor taking the results into consideration.

Basically, I'm in favor of our typical meritocracy + thoughtful
consideration to community input approach and hope that things will work
out (at least well enough, so as to keep moving towards R1)

And yeah, either (or both) the Trac or Drupal page should have some
text to explain how that will work.

--mmadia