[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:40:56 -0500

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I remember ffmpeg has this kind of test. You couldn't apply unless you
>  have passed a test, which was fixing a bug or something.

While having a "useful" test would be nice, that might be a bit too
complicated. What if we broke a certain application in a few known
ways (one would cause a segfault and drop into a debugger, the other
would just be a logic error.) The student would be given the broken
code and a few "bug reports" and would need to fix it. This would mean
they at least have a basic idea of C++, can use a debugger, and can
debug and fix logic problems. That should weed out some people I
suppose.

I'm facing similar issues at my work now, trying to interview and hire
people. There is a fine line between weeding out people who really are
no good and being a bit too picky and accidentally weeding out
potentially good people.

Regards,
Ryan